Tuesday, April 18, 2006

The Power of Deadlines

Three working days ago, I didn't know who Heinrich Brüning was.* Were it not for the Oxford tutorial system, and a 9am essay deadline, I would probably still be ignorant of this fact.

I've just completed an essay on the inevitability of Brüning's economic policy. I'm tired, my head aches a little, and my desk is littered with library books and papers, but I'm feeling exhilarated. It's wonderful to finish an essay. And there's still time tonight for a bit of light reading...


* For anyone interested, Heinrich Brüning was Reich Chancellor of Germany from 1930-1932, the last chancellor but one before Hitler came to power.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

tell me about it. :-) Deadlines will really do it to you. They're currently driving me nuts. :-)

Anonymous said...

(It's good to see your blog. I shall enjoy reading it!)

Early essay deadlines are rubbish. They either mean you have to wake up at a ridiculous hour - four o'clock springs to mind - or you are forced to plan!

But it sounds like all went well for you, so maybe that was just me.