
Tonight we watched "It's a Wonderful Life" -- a Christmas tradition of long-standing. I didn't realize before what a big impact that film has had on our family. When a bell rings on the Christmas tree, we think of the angel who's just earned his wings, and whenever somebody plays "Hark the Herald" on the piano, my dad calls out "George Bailey!"
We kept discovering lines that have become so much a part of our vocabulary that we'd almost forgotten where they came from. Here are a few examples:
"Wish I had a million dollars... Hot dog!"
"What, this old thing? I only wear this when I don't care how I look!"
"You were born older, George."
"This is a very interesting situation!"
"Why don't you go haunt somebody else?"
"I'm givin' out wings!"
And, of course, that most exquisite holiday greeting:
"Merry Christmas, Mr. Potter!"
"Happy New Year to you -- in jail!"
6 comments:
You forgot the, "Oh, why don't you stop annoying people?" :-D
Also forgot this one: "And it goes for you too!"
Merry Christmas from Malaysia! (The time-zone is perhaps the one and only way in which this country is ahead of the USA!)
"Eee-aw!"
"You want the moon?"
I made Becky L and Bryony watch it just before Christmas. Anyone who doesn't cry at the end of that movie just doesn't have a heart (you, Laura??).
Happy new year (almost!)
can you see the background on authors now?
Forgot one more: "I'm not paying you to be a canary!"
Yes, I can see the background on authors now -- good choice!
Post a Comment