Thursday, January 22, 2009

In which I eat crumpets

When I first read The Secret Garden, I remember thinking that a "crumpet" was probably something rather like a cream horn. (This was doubtless due to an unconscious association of the words "cream" and "trumpet"). Just the sort of thing for Dickon, Mary, and Colin to eat in the midst of tending roses.


This beautiful illusion was shattered when I eventually discovered what crumpets are actually like. I did get over my disappointment, but I confess I've never felt a particular desire to try thick, flabby pancakes covered with holes on one side.


However, I have developed a taste for English muffins (which are very much better than the rolls sold under that name in the States), and when I was last at Sainsbury's, they didn't have any nice muffins. So I bought crumpets instead. I had one for breakfast and another one for tea, toasted and spread with butter and marmalade. They're not half bad. I am pleasantly surprised.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I quite like crumpets, especially with butter and jam. It's a pity you can't get them in Texas.