Sunday, February 08, 2009

The Book Game

I am indebted to Jean, a homemaker, writer, and book-lover from Sydney, Australia, for the idea behind this post.

The book game is quite simple. Below, I have typed the 5th sentence on p.56 from several of my favourite books. I invite my readers to leave comments identifying the books. Guess all of them, or just one, as you wish.

1) "He is so kind to me I must thank him, and I don't know any other way."

2) "Her daughter sails for New York on Saturday, and we are going with her."

3) "I was only here about a minute before you," said Scrubb.

4) Few children can eat when excited with thoughts of a journey; nor could I.

5) "What's that you got?"
"Dead cat."

6) "And I like large parties. They're so intimate. At small parties there isn't any privacy."

7) "You are summoned to the Lord of the City to learn your new duties."

8) "Whether or no, I won't be prayed agin, I tell you."

9) "Unless, of course," he said, "somebody put cheese in at the bottom just for a joke."

10) "Now the very next time this happens," said a gruff and suspicious voice, "I shall be exceedingly angry."

My selections here are somewhat limited by the fact that most of my library is currently on the other side of the ocean, but if the game proves enjoyable, I'll run it again when I'm next at home. Happy guessing!

10 comments:

julie said...

wow...I feel like I should know all of these, but my mind is blank.
1 is certainly Little Women, 3 must be Silver Chair, and 5 is definitely Tom Sawyer...but I feel like I know the others too.

julie said...

but i did feel very please, because I went to the blog where you got the inspiration for this post, and I knew all of those except for #4 I think.

julie said...

that would be *pleased.

Laura said...

Well done so far!

You definitely know them all -- have another look at #7 and #8, especially :-)

Emma said...

I was think 1)was Jane Eyre, though someone else has identified it as Little Women. 5)Is from Tom Sawyer? 6) From the Hobbit? 7) I feel like I really ought to know, but I can't figure it out. 10) From a William book?

Laura said...

#1 is Little Women, though Jane Eyre was a good guess

#3 is The Silver Chair

#5 is Tom Sawyer

But #6 is not The Hobbit, nor is #10 from a William book. Although, Emma, #10 was definitely a part of your time in Oxford. More guesses? :-)

Emma said...

10: Wind in the Willows.

Anonymous said...

#6) sounds like an Oscar Wilde play, probably "Importance of Being Earnest", but I'm not sure.

#7) Return of the King, somebody talking to Pippin.

#8) Tale of Two Cities

#9) Winnie the Pooh, one of them, can't remember which...but I can hear Mommy's voice reading it in my head.

Laura said...

Bravo, Sirius!

#7 is The Return of the King

#8 is Tale of Two Cities

#9 is Winnie the Pooh (It could never be read in any other voice, could it?)

And Emma got #10 -- The Wind in the Willows

But #6 is not Oscar Wilde, though early 20th century is roughly the right period.

That leaves #6, #4, and #2

#2 is one of the more recent books on the list. It was published in 1938, and soon became a very successful film.

#4 is an old classic.

Laura said...

Other guesses not having materialized, here are the answers:

#2 is Rebecca

#4 is Jane Eyre

#6 is The Great Gatsby

Thanks for playing!