Friday, May 29, 2009

HMS Pinafore

Greetings, long-lost friends! It is time to break the silence.

At the beginning of term, I took part in a production of HMS Pinafore, performed by the Oxford University Gilbert and Sullivan Society. I was one of Sir Joseph Porter's sisters, cousins, and aunts. After a week's soul-searching, I decided I was probably a cousin.

The play ran Wednesday - Saturday of 2nd Week, with a matinee and an evening performance on the Saturday. Some college friends came on Thursday. Anthony organized a group of about a dozen Ebbe's people to come on the Friday, and we all went out for dinner together beforehand. Anthony came again on the Saturday evening and brought me flowers.

Here are some photographic highlights:

Male chorus: "We sail the ocean blue"


Female chorus: "And we are his sisters and his cousins and his aunts"


Ralph and Josephine: "O joy and rapture unforeseen"


Captain Corcoran and Little Buttercup: "The bumboat woman has gypsy blood in her veins and can read destinies..."


Dick Deadeye: "When people have to obey other people's orders, equality's out of the question!"


Sir Joseph Porter and Cousin Hebe: "He is an Englishman"


The full cast, plus directors:


I will be sorely tempted to audition for The Mikado next term...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, congrats! Thanks for sharing the pictures. So you are staying in Oxford another year? Lucky!

Becca