I'm not very good at posting during times of uncertainty and change. I just don't know what to say when I know there's an upcoming bend in my road, but I can't yet see what's waiting on the other side. That was why I barely posted during the 11 months while Anthony and I were dating and then engaged. That's also why I haven't posted at all since mid-November.
This time the uncertainty is professional. I successfully defended my doctoral dissertation near the end of November, only to face head-on the daunting question of "what next?" And I don't know. I've been applying for jobs on a virtually full-time basis since September, but with the D.Phil. behind me, the application process seems to have taken on fresh urgency. I have a number of irons in the fire, but nothing to report, as yet. There's also considerable uncertainty surrounding Anthony's job at the moment, with the result that it's impossible to say what country we'll be in, let alone what we'll be doing in 6 months' time.
The job cycle has slowed down considerably since the autumn, and, although I do have a few applications in progress, I also have a lot of time on my hands. Uncertainty and boredom sometimes loom large in the quiet of an empty flat, but I'm endeavouring to make the most of this in-between season by exercising regularly, reading challenging books that I wouldn't have the energy to tackle if I had a job, reading lots more books just for fun, and experimenting with new recipes (we had passionfruit souffle yesterday). I've also been growing in my appreciation of Mozart's symphonies and Bach's Inventions and Sinfonias, which have kept me company in the kitchen over the last several evenings.
And I've determined not to allow present uncertainties to stifle this blog any longer. More soon...
3 comments:
Hi, Laura! Nice to 'see' you, and I know exactly what you mean about sitting on your hands while things are uncertain - it's hard to know what to talk about when most of what is going on is...uncertainty. We're coming out the other side of that at the moment (I hope!), so you've really got my sympathy :S It sounds like you're doing a good job of keeping yourself busy though (mmmmm...passionfruit souffle. yum!) and we'll pray that things would settle down for you both soon.
Love from us both :)
I was gonna post today too! Well, it will probably be tomorrow actually.
Passionfruit souffle sounds good! I've been cooking a bit myself--made pizza from scratch last night, but more on that later. :)
passionfruit souffle sounds amazing. i still have never made a souffle of any kind, something i hope to remedy in the not-to-distant future.
enjoy your uncertain time as much as you can--it keeps you young. when everything is planned out and steady, that's when you settle down and start to get old...:-P
well, maybe not really, but it's a fun way of looking at it to help you value the uncertain times.
Post a Comment