Tuesday, December 30, 2008

"He fed his spirit with the bread of books..."

Here is a brief summary of the best books I have read in 2008, by category:

Novels:

First Read: Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh

This book gave me a glimpse of Oxford 85 years ago -- an Oxford of men's colleges, personal valets, and lavish student accommodation. Now I can't walk past the Meadow Building at Christ Church without thinking "That's where Sebastian lived."

Re-read:

This is a hard choice, as I spent most of the summer re-reading old favourites. I think I'll have to pick Jane Eyre. The story is so well told that it doesn't matter if you already know the ending. The characters are magnificent, but unlike Sirius, I've never been in love with Mr. Rochester. I'd prefer Gilbert Blythe any day.

Christian:

Affliction by Edith Schaeffer

This book changed the way I thought about suffering for the Christian -- not merely something to be endured, but perhaps one's greatest opportunity to bring glory to Christ in the battle of the heavenlies. One sentence stood out in particular:

"None of us can know which shock or illness (headache or operation, disappointment or disillusionment with a friend, criticism or other human attack, loss of job or loss of house and land, news of a close loved one's death, or totally destructive earthquake) will turn out to be the most important opportunity we are ever going to have to honestly love God and truly trust Him in a way which will bring Him joy and defeat Satan."

Non-Fiction:

St. Thomas Aquinas by G.K. Chesterton

This book revealed the depths of my ignorance and made me think, for which I am deeply grateful.

Drama:

Man and Superman by Bernard Shaw

A retelling of the Don Juan story, with intriguing reflections on marriage, socialism, and evolution. Every page sparkles with wit. This is one of the best plays I have read.

Poetry:

The Poems of Gerard Manley Hopkins

These are the poems of a man who loved and trusted Christ through exceptionally difficult circumstances, and found God's grace sufficient in weakness. He also wrote surpassingly beautiful English.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sirus and I might have to compete for Mr. Rochester.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this! Your quote from Edith Schaeffer was very helpful. I quoted it in my sermon last Sunday evening...