Sunday, July 25, 2010

Life After D.Phil.

I haven't taken any time off yet, but life is definitely moving at an easier pace. Here are some highlights from the last week.

1) Research. This is the reason I haven't had any time off. I have a proposal due next week for my new project -- an experimental study of compulsory takings. Spent a good part of the week reading up on the economics of eminent domain. I'm really starting to get into it, and it's a welcome break from substantive due process. The proposal goes in on Wednesday, so maybe some I’ll get some vacation after that.

2) Cleaning. It seems odd to call this a highlight, as I’ve never particularly enjoyed housework. But I have been spending lots of time on it this week, and there's a certain satisfaction in cleaning when you can really see the difference. On Tuesday, I trimmed, weeded and organized the garden. On Thursday, I deep-cleaned the kitchen for the first time since we moved here. Anthony remarked when he got home that he never knew that floor was actually light brown. On Friday, I focused my efforts on the bathroom. Dramatic transformations in every case.

3) Reading. Without the continual pressure of the D.Phil., I've been allowing some time each day just to read for pleasure. Am currently finishing off David Copperfield>, which I hadn't read since 10th grade. It makes so much more sense now than it did the last time. Looking forward to diving back into Born to Run and Paradise Lost soon.

4) Time with friends. We went round on Thursday for dinner with Matt and Claire, a couple from church. Sam came to stay with us from Friday evening through Saturday afternoon. It was really nice to catch up with him. We played 5000 and Blockus; watched some West Wing and part of ROTK; enjoyed steak, apple crumble, and a cooked breakfast; and went for a long walk on the Heath.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

that sounds fun. what is the research for? something for Kevin or something for yourself?

I personally like cleaning if I chose to do it then. I don't enjoy it as much if someone tells me to do it though. :) funny how that goes.