Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Birthday challenges

A few weeks ago, a friend from church mentioned that she's come up with a list of challenges -- things she wants to before she turns 40 in a few months' time.

That got me thinking. I'll be turning 30 early next year, so why not come up with a list of 30 challenges to be undertaken over the course of the year in which I turn 30? I'll need a few significant challenges, several that are middling hard, and a good many easy ones. I'd also like them to span various categories -- things like cooking, gardening, reading, Christian faith, travel, culture, sport/fitness, education, etc.

Here are a few of the ideas I'm contemplating:

  • Go out for sushi
  • Visit a new country
  • Run a 10k (or possibly a half marathon?)
  • Cook scallops
  • Read through the Bible in a year
  • Drink Mexican hot chocolate
  • Sing Handel's Messiah with a choir
  • Host a fondue party
But that's only eight, and I'd love to hear your suggestions. Please let me know your thoughts.

3 comments:

EmilyI said...

make a meal in at least 3 cuisines you've never cooked before. suggestions: turkish, japanese, lebanese.
spend an entire day talking in a different accent. indian or australian being preferred.
immerse yourself in a new genre of music.
get a tattoo. :-D
try a totally new hairstyle. supershort?
read a new book series.
watch all the james bond films.
become educated in a new style or movement of art.
write a song.
paint a picture.

i will come up with more.

Rachel said...

those are good ones.

Learn a new language. Go streaking somewhere. :) Find a new hobby like sailing or horseback riding or something.

I've been thinking about doing something like this for myself.

jamespotter said...

-make a new friend
-explore a new music genre
-have a spontaneous dance party (with a good beat)
-be a street musician for an afternoon