Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Garden Excitement

On Saturday, Anthony dug the first potatoes from our garden! We planted them on a whim back in April, and I've been wondering for months whether there was really anything going on under the soil. But finally the plants in one of the pots wilted and it was time to find out. I determined to document the whole process.

We soon discovered that the experiment was not a total failure:


But I never imagined it would be so wildly successful:


We got 44 potatoes of edible size -- from just one pot and two seed potatoes. We agreed on the spot to try this experiment again next year:


They cleaned up very nicely:


We also picked more green beans (we've already had 5 or 6 bowls this size):


And we ate some of them for dinner last night. (I think we might be eating potatoes every night this week!) They were really nice:


And there's another pot of red potatoes, a pot of sweet potatoes, several enormous cucumbers, and lots of green beans still to come!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

that's pretty cool. That's a ton of potatoes!!! I may try that next year. How did you do it? just plant an eye or a potato?

Have fun channeling your inner irish person for a while. ;)

Laura said...

You can plant a whole potato if you want, but we had two long ones with well-developed sprouts on each end, so we cut them in half and rooted them separately. Do give it a try -- they're really run to grow!