You can see them every morning now -- droves of them. Students in sub-fusc, heading down towards the Exam Schools, gowns fluttering in the wind. In three weeks' time, I'll be among them. Scary thought. But after that Cambridge, family holiday, and Malaysia!
This week was very intense work-wise. Had three essays to hand in on Friday, which made for long hours at the computer and plenty of trotting round to various libraries. Also attended a series of lectures at the Said Business School on the Enron collapse -- relevant for my thesis. Very tired by Friday afternoon, but happy to have the essays finished. Only one more left this term... The next few weeks should be a lot easier, with tutorials winding down. Highlights of this week included a dessert party at Joe M.'s house after the 6:30 last Sunday and a Bible study with a friend on Monday afternoon.
Last night I dined at High Table. The starter, calamari salad, helped broaden my culinary horizons. The main course was nice, but the pudding, a summery concoction of fresh berries and cream, was best by far. I found myself seated opposite a former Brasenose organ scholar who explained the desirable properties of organ shoes ("as little shoe as possible") and said that the best organ in Oxford is the one at Queen's College. After dinner I played the chapel piano for a while -- it's wonderfully quiet and peaceful in there in the evening.
This morning I attended the Ebbe's East Asia Prayer Meeting, followed by a bit of shopping and lunch. In the afternoon I went to see a stage adaptation of Jane Austen's "Emma" and really enjoyed it. An acquaintance from Ebbe's did a great job playing Harriet Smith. Then evensong at Magdalen. Decided to go somewhat on a whim and arrived about 50 feet ahead of the choir...
"It is good to sing praises to the Lord and to make music to your name, O Most High, to proclaim...your faithfulness at night." (Psalm 92)
Have a blessed Sunday.
2 comments:
I would have to read that post when I haven't had dinner yet and am starving, wouldn't I? :-) I thought you finished sooner than three weeks.
I'm glad that Brasenosians know a good organ when they see one! I concur - organ shoes are better if they have small soles (unlike Christians - the bigger the soul, the better!), though mine nearly have no soles after 10 years (but for God's grace, I would be a soulless-organist)..still - I hope your organ scholar friend didn't only talk about organ shoes...:)
Post a Comment