I couldn't have anticipated how tired I would be after my dissertation. All my energy seemed to evaporate the moment the project was out of my hands. I didn't feel exhilerated, just dead tired. Three days of exams at the end of last week only added to this sensation. I've spent the last few days running errands, visiting with friends, and avoiding anything academic.
But now I've noticed a change -- after about a week, my desire to read has come back. I started with The Wizard of Earthsea, a fun science fiction novel, and I've borrowed Crime and Punnishment, Catch-22, The Cost of Discipleship, and Habits of the Mind. Spent this morning browsing in Joe Martin's library, something I've wanted to do for a long time. Borrowed a set of Charles Williams novels.
It feels like my mind is starting to wake up again. That said, recovery continues: writing anything beyond the shortest e-mail still requires a tremendous effort.
3 comments:
Regular doses of the West Wing has no doubt played a significant part in bringing the grey matter back online!
Dude (or Dudette, whichever you prefer), did you check that poem I stuck on authors? Very interesting poem. I'll be interested to hear your opinion. Had you ever heard of the author?
argh...that was not anonymous but my humble self.
Post a Comment