Wednesday, November 22, 2006

7th week

A mounting crescendo of activity leading up to the end of term:

On Monday I organized my life (or at least made an heroic attempt): cleaned the house, did laundry, made a grocery list, made a reading list, sorted out various e-mails, finished an iFocus study, read in the library, led the iFocus study. A busy and productive day -- part of me really enjoys admin. The other part of me dreads it because admin doesn't count as work. It's necessary, but it leaves the "real" work still hanging over my head. I sometimes feel like "getting organized" is a waste of time I could have spent working.

On Tuesday I went to the Ministry Training Course at St. Ebbe's. Bible overview from Vaughan in the morning (Joshua and Judges this week), followed by an exposition of Philippians 4 from Anthony Bewes. Then lunch in College. Then a session on "The Doctrine of the Cross" from Paul Bolton, and hour's break, and a workshop session. Home for a bit after that, where I made Thai coconut soup for dinner. Then back to town for a choir rehearsal and Scottish Dancing class.

On Wednesday I worked in the morning and then went to Schaeffer group -- one of the better meetings on account of John's magnificent marble cheesecake. Back home for more work and then another Scottish Dancing class.

It's been great fun getting back into Scottish Dancing after a two-year hiatus. I like it because it's mentally stimulating, the music is beautiful, you don't have to go with a partner and you change partners every dance, it's good exercise, and the people are friendly and welcoming. There's an end of term dance coming up next week and the classes this week were spent preparing for it. There are 20 dances on the program, some of which certain readers will no doubt recognize: "Flowers of Edinburgh," "Postie's Jig," and "Monymusk."

There are many worthwhile things going on, but I'm tired -- very tired...

The last line of an old Robert Frost poem rings true for me right now:
"But I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep."

Metaphorically, anyway.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Postie's!!! And Flowers of Edinburgh is awesome too, I love the chasing bit. I didn't know you were in a choir...when did this start?? See you in less than 2 weeks!!

Love, Sirius

Anonymous said...

yay for Flowers of Edinburgh!! See you soon!