Friday, March 30, 2007

Little L'Abri

I've been home for 9 days, jetlag is a thing of the past, and I've developed something of a routine. My family's really busy right now -- it's debate tournament season for some and the middle of university term for others -- so it's turned out that I have a lot of time by myself.

I almost feel like I'm at L'Abri. My days are divided between study and practical stuff around the house. Also enjoying long walks, weather permitting, and playing the piano.

In terms of study, it's a mix of dissertation work and personal reflection: Chesterton, Schaeffer, Joseph Ellis, Oscar Wilde, US constitutional history. It's wonderful to have time like this, but sometimes it almost seems like I'm regressing: my pile is growing larger with frightful rapidity. I usually find it helpful to read several books at once, changing every few hours, but decided today to focus on "Escape from Reason" which I never properly finished when Joe's reading group discussed it last Trinity.

On the practical side, it's been mostly cooking, washing up, and giving people lifts. It's good to be doing things with my hands -- helps bring some balance in the midst of all the reading.

Have some talks by Francis Schaeffer and Tim Keller to listen to later in the week. Enjoying Glenn Gould's recording of Bach's two and three-part inventions while typing this. Au revoir.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you make me jealous. i could just feel the relaxation and calm emanating from your post as i read it. and i'm in the middle of the craziest part of my semester. but i'm glad your having such a restful time. :-) definitely keep on enjoying it. can't wait to see you in less than a week!! love you!