Thursday, September 09, 2010

An Experiment

Once when I was a teenager, I balanced an egg on end on the autumnal equinox. I later read, with some disappointment, that eggs will balance equally well on any other day of the year, but I never took the time to try.

That is, not until last Saturday. Anthony and I were making a cooked breakfast, when I was seized with a sudden urge to try some non-equinoctial egg-balancing. It didn't take very long. And no, the alarm clock doesn't normally live in the kitchen - we just wanted to get the date in the photo:



But of course, one egg was not enough. I had to make sure my first success wasn't a fluke. Then Anthony joined me. We got so carried away balancing eggs that we nearly forgot about the sausages already under the broiler.


I'm pleased to report that this experiment had no impact on the taste of the eggs, but somehow it made our sausages a little crunchier than normal. Go figure.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

i can't recall if I have ever managed that with an egg or not. those eggs don't seem quite as elongated as the ones we normally have--makes ours harder to balance. :)

Sirius said...

i remember back when you balanced the first one! i had forgotten. i just have to say, you and anthony are hilarious. i love it.