Thursday, September 16, 2010

Haste to the Wedding

Many apologies for the long silence. Anthony and I have been slowly recovering from a weekend in Bedfordshire for Anthony's sister's wedding. I haven't been so tired since our English wedding last February.

It all started when we couldn't find each other at the train station on Friday evening. We'd agreed on a meeting place, but somehow ended up at opposite ends of the station. It only took two phone calls to sort it out. Anthony had come straight from work, lugging our cases and a rather heavy wedding gift. I was carrying a couple of apple dapple cakes for the rehearsal dinner, wrapped in cling film and swinging along in plastic shopping bags. (Note to self: buy some cake boxes). It was the height of rush hour, and our commuter train was crowded to standing room only. I knew that if I set the cakes down, somebody would step on them. Picture us balanced somewhat precariously at the end of our carriage, books in hand, surrounded on all sides by sweaty, grumpy commuters -- Anthony carrying my backpack and supporting our cases, and me endeavouring to stay upright with two cakes hanging from my arms as the train lurched drunkenly from side to side. I was very thankful when both our desserts reached their destination in one piece.

After the rehearsal dinner, we returned to Anthony's parents' house, where Marian and I arranged flowers until almost 5am. Marian focused on corsages and an impressive display for the front door of the reception venue, while I made half-a-dozen thank-you bouquets and the flower arrangements for the top table. All great fun, but by the end of it, I could barely hold my eyes open.

Morning came far too fast, and before I knew it we were leaving for the reception venue. I spent the morning helping to decorate the hall for the wedding breakfast. Then I made lunch for the swarm of wedding workers and fixed the bridesmaid's hair. The wedding was meant to be at 2:00, but somehow fixing hair and getting ready always takes longer than expected. It was 1:30 before the bride and the bridesmaid rushed away for pre-wedding photos. This left under half an hour for Anthony and me to get ready, tidy the reception site, and walk to the church.

While I did my makeup, Anthony swept through the building like a benevolent tornado gathering up all the hair stuff, cosmetics, and random bits left behind by the wedding party and depositing them out of sight in the back room. In our haste, neither of us noticed that the bridesmaid's curling iron had been left on near the front door.

As we left for the church, I discovered that my new-ish dress has a very narrow hem and I couldn't take big steps. Less than ideal in a tight spot. We reached the main road just in time to hear a brisk "clip-clop, clip-clop" coming up behind us. It was the horse and carriage with the bridal party! We minced along the pavement as fast as my wobbly heels and narrow hem would permit, trying desperately to get there before the carriage. It was the first time I've ever raced a horse to a wedding! I'm pleased to say we won, but only just!

The church was beautiful. In addition to stunning flower arrangements for the entryway, the stage, and the registry table, Marian had made these for all the windows:



But it was this amazing pedestal arrangement that really took the cake:


The weather was perfect. The day had started out grim and overcast, with heavy rain just a few miles away. By the time the service started, though, the clouds had departed and warm sunshine was streaming into the church. The bride was radiant and the groom seemed ready to burst with happiness. Every time I go to a wedding, my favourite thing to do is to watch the groom's face at the moment when the bride first appears. James looked positively thrilled at the site of Emmeline.

It wasn't until we were outside for photos afterward that the bridesmaid whispered to me: "Did anybody turn off my curling iron?" We enjoyed a quick modified stationary panic before she was called away for another photo.

The wedding party:


Upon returning to reception venue, I was greatly relieved to find the place still standing. Anthony, who arrived back before I did, had discretely removed the curling iron and all was well. We were there to welcome the happy couple, who returned from the church by horse and carriage.

The hall looked absolutely magnificent. I am in awe of Marian's talents:


The little flower pots were place cards and favours rolled into one -- there were ladybug-shaped chocolates hidden inside each pot!



The top table:


Marian made all the leaves and flowers on the cake from sugar and hand-painted every one:



After welcome drinks, the guests took their places for the wedding breakfast. Then there was a catered buffet lunch, good conversation round our table, cake, much-needed coffee, and speeches.

This was followed by another rush of activity as we transformed the hall for an evening barn dance. All the tables were dismantled and rolled away, chinese lanterns were hung from the ceiling, and a fantastic English country dance band arrived to contribute to the festive atmosphere. A small army of helpers set out an extensive buffet supper in the next room and the evening celebrations were underway.

I danced and chatted and ate and refilled platters on the buffet and hunted for needed items in the back room until I was absolutely dropping from exhaustion. Once the bride and groom had gone, Anthony and I were commissioned to drive his grandmother back to the house, where we gratefully collapsed. The adrenalin was still pumping so hard, though, it was more than an hour before we were able to sleep.

Next day we went to church with Anthony's parents and they took us out for a nice pub lunch afterwards. Then we returned to the house for coffee, packed our things, and Mike drove us to the station. We fought valiantly to stay awake on the train back to London, were thankful to get seats on the Tube, got home, ordered Indian takeaway, and crashed in front of The West Wing.

We've spent the last five days gradually catching up on our sleep deficit and are counting hours til next weekend...

4 comments:

Sirius said...

wow, sounds like a crazy weekend, but fun. those flowers/decorations look incredible. really really awesome.

Rachel said...

that's nuts. the wedding looks really nice. A benevolent tornado huh? :) never heard that one before. :) I think it would have been funny to see you trying to outrun a horse in heels and that dress we bought when i was there. that was the one you wore right? that's what it looked like in the pictures Marian sent us.

Anonymous said...

In the photos I saw the other day, I thought you looked gorgeous (loved your dress), and didn't see fatigue at all! I am in awe of Marian's talents, too. It sounds like you and Anthony were a big part of making the wedding day lovely for Emmeline and James.

Thank you for this blog and writing details of your life so well that it doesn't seem there is an ocean between us!

Love,

Leslie

Rachel said...

you should post again.

Not a sermon, just a thought. :)