Thursday, September 02, 2010

Writing Again

My Muse only speaks in bursts.

I researched and wrote my D.Phil. in 18 months (and got married in the middle). It took two and half years of frustration, despair, and hints from my supervisor before I realized that the only way out was to start writing, even though I had nothing to say. So I set myself the goal of writing two double-spaced pages every weekday. I chose that goal because I found it was consistently manageable. The resulting sense of moving forward, even at a snail's pace, made a huge psychological difference. Baby steps to the elevator... And strangely, I found that as I wrote, I acquired things to say. Research questions began to form, arguments took shape, I started to see the gaps in the existing literature. Within a four months, I had gone from a blank page to a full chapter and an outline for the entire thesis, more than I could show from years of note-taking in the library.

After a month of doing other stuff, I'm writing again, trying to finish a paper for journal submission by the end of September. Two pages a day. Some days it's agony. The words just won't come, my head aches, I can't seem to focus. Some days it's just a bit of a slog -- a chore I have to get through before moving on to more interesting things. But then there are the other days.

Occasionally when I'm writing, I get a moment of sudden clarity, a fleeting inspiration for how to express something. Sometimes it's a precise arrangement of words, but more often it's just a raw idea which I have to capture in rough language before it disappears. When the Muse speaks, I must type. I stop compulsively checking my e-mail, looking up references, and fidgeting. If I allow my attention to wander, even for a moment, the vision disappears, and I lose what I was trying to capture, probably for good.

Today was one of those days. I'd slogged for three hours and barely managed a single page, when suddenly the book I was reading sparked a new train of thought and I chased after it, feverishly churning out 3 pages in about half an hour.

At times like that, I have this desperate feeling of not being able to type fast enough. It's a bit like running for the Tube when the train is just about to leave, but knowing that the doors won't spring open if I don't quite make it. Once the inspiration is gone, there's no regaining it. I charge down the page, leaving a wreckage of dangling quotations, question-marked references, and mangled spellings in my wake. Once I've captured the idea in terms intelligible at least to me, I can go back and clean up the mess.

When it's all over, I'm exhausted -- mental exhaustion that spills over into physical. But it's not the kind of tiredness I can sleep off, at least not right away. The best way for me to unwind after a frenetic writing burst is to read for fun. I think I need to re-balance my brain by taking in enough words to make up for all those I've just poured out. When I got home today, I had to collapse on the sofa and read 50 pages of Dracula before I could even face the prospect of fixing dinner. Thankfully there were leftovers on hand. Then Anthony made me popcorn and a foot bath and let me snuggle up next to him two episodes of The West Wing.

On days like this, I love my work.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for writing this and for your example. Just doing it and slogging through brings results. How many things could I have done had I just made myself get started! It's time to start. Thanks for the inspiration. PDI

Rachel said...

you're reading Dracula? Isn't it a good book? I loved it, though the German/Austrian countryside might have helped with that.

I occasionally have that feeling when I'm writing. It's rather rare though, because I generally try to avoid writing papers. :)

EmilyI said...

i get that feeling when i'm designing sometimes; those are the best days. they make up for all the other days when things seem to be going slowly, badly, or not at all. i'm so glad you had one today. and getting to read and relax at the end sounds lovely.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post! Almost poetry! Its the sort of idea that can inspire one to great things. Thanks Laura,
MRI

Anonymous said...

Also glad to hear you got back to the West Wing. Are you finishing the series (year 7) or going back to favorites?
MRI