Thursday, November 20, 2008

Diversions

The noble Jules and I were having one of those "bored -- nothing to do" evenings. The rest of the fam was otherwise engaged. We decided to divert ourselves with a book, reading the chapters aloud by turns.

After a day of thesis work, I'd forgotten that a book could be so diverting. We shrieked with laughter. We howled with laughter. We laughed till our cheek muscles ached and the tears ran down our faces -- for two solid hours. We finally stopped only when sheer exhaustion kept us from continuing. I've been trying to massage my face back into shape ever since.

The book was A Fine and Pleasant Misery by Patrick McManus. A collection of adventures in the great outdoors of Northern Idaho. Most books can be read quietly without loss, but this one begs to be read aloud -- some things need to be shared with someone. Many thanks to Brooke W for bringing Patrick McManus to my attention.

1 comment:

julie said...

That dog Strange cracked me up. We should find some more with him in it. :-D