I interrupt my series on Romans 13 for the sake of a great American holiday.
I haven't been in the States for Thanksgiving in 4 years, and it's great to be back in the thick of things. The turkey's in the oven, the refrigerators are overflowing with 5 pies and innumerable side dishes, and there's a three-hour queue for the second oven. All the food isn't meant for today -- we design this so that we can live off the leftovers through Sunday. We cooked all day yesterday and a good part of this morning. I can't remember the last time I washed so many dishes.
We had a special family brunch this morning, followed by a time of recounting specific thanksgivings from the last year. It was my family's first meal all together since August.
Adding to the festive mood is Washington's classical radio station -- currently on #10 of its Classical Countdown. Last week, listeners across the DC area voted online for their favourite classical selections, and the station's been playing them in descending order since Monday. The top 25 comprise today's entire programme. We're on Vivaldi's 4 Seasons at the moment. The rest of the top 10 will probably be symphonies -- or at least works of sufficient to carry us to around 8pm. Remus and I are holding out for Beethoven's 9th as #1.
Later this afternoon we're going for a long walk in the woods, and in the evening my dad's sister and her family will be joining us for the great feast.
Yesterday I began my Thanksgiving book. Each year I choose a book specially for Thanksgiving weekend. The next few days will be dotted with social engagements -- various outings, games, and times with friends -- but there are always wonderful long quiet stretches in which to curl up with a book and a hot drink. This year's selection is Man and Superman, by Bernard Shaw.
No comments:
Post a Comment