Since the book game has gone down so well in the past, Laura has consented to a guest post, as I present my version of The Book Game.
For those who have just joined us, the rules are simple. Below is the 3rd sentence on page 144 from twelve of my favourite books. Contestants are invited to guess the book from which any or all of these quotes are taken. (As a clue, a couple of the quotes are from biographies.)
1. The department, in short, looked far more like a fraternity than it did a division of a large corporation.
2. Then I looked around me, and as the ship was now, in a sense, my own, I began to think of clearing it from its last passenger--the dead man, O'Brien.
3. Nailed to the wall over the door was a board with a painted design depicting a soldier carrying another on his back, the latter clad in the starred and braided uniform of a general.
4. "Or take me," said Jack. "I am called captain, but really I am only a master and commander."
5. Nine-thirty came, and then ten o'clock. Eleven. We were both used to long waits in bureaucratic countries, but this was a long delay by any standards.
6. "No, we can't rejuvenate. But I'm very glad," Dr. Shaw had concluded, "to have had this opportunity to see an example of senility in a human being."
7. Then said Hopeful, That's good news, good brother, pluck it out of thy bosom, and try.
8. But Humphrey couldn't find a way to tell me the bad news. Extraordinary.
9. Colonel Korn jerked his elbow free from Yossarian's clutching fingers in startled affront.
10. For the past four or five years, Edmond had heard no one speak except his jailer; and, to a prisoner, a jailer is not a man but a living door added to the oak door of his cell and a bar of flesh joined to his bars of iron.
11. Bush actually had to parry the bayonet-thrust the marine made at him.
12. They were above the junction of two handramits. One of them was doubtless that in which he had lived, the other that which contained Meldilorn.
Enjoy!
7 comments:
okay, so maybe i'm doing a little better on this one, but maybe i'm now. Maybe I'm all wrong, but here is my guess:
4. is from a Master and Commander book? (just maybe??? :) )
7. Pilgrim's Progress
10. Count of Monte Cristo (LOVE it!)
11. one of the Hornblower books.
Not super-specific I know, but there you go.
Hmmm, I, in contrast, am much worse at this one. The only one I got was 11 = a Hornblower, not sure which one. And Remus already said it.
Clearly I should read more... :-P
Dang this was hard!
2) Treasure Island (maybe??)
4) Master and Commander?
7) Pilgrim's Progress
10) Count of Monte Cristo
11) I'm gonna guess Hornblower and the Hotspur
dude don't leave it hanging! =P what are the answers?
Apologies to all for the long wait for the answers...
1. Liar's Poker by Michael Lewis - an autobiographical account of his job at Salomon Brothers in the bond markets of the late 1980s.
2. Is Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island
3. Victor Hugo's Les Miserables - the scene is from Thenadier's inn at Montfermeil.
4. Is one of Patrick O'Brien's Aubrey-Marturin series - in fact it's the first, Master and Commander (there are only two in the series where he is a Commander, towards the end of the second, Post Captain, he is promoted to, err... Post Captain.
5. God's Smuggler by Brother Andrew - perhaps my favourite biography of all time.
6. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.
7. Is indeed Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan.
8. Yes, Minister by Jonathan Lynn and Anthony Jay. Ok, so you regard this as a television series... but I first discovered Yes, Minister in the written form, and loved it.
9. Catch 22 by Joseph Heller - I think this book is wonderfully hilarious. I can particularly see it appealling to Sirius...
10. The Count of Monte Christo by Alexandre Dumas. I would agree with Remus that it's wonderful, although this might be the one occasion where I prefer the Hollywood ending to the original book.
11. Is one of C.S. Foreseter's Hornblower series - it is in fact Lieutenant Hornblower, although Hotspur was a good guess, as I think those are the only two books in which Lieutenant Bush plays a part.
12. I'm surprised nobody got this one... C.S. Lewis' Out of the Silent Planet
Thank you all for playing!
yay! you put up the answers!! And...I was correct in all my guesses. I feel so much better about myself after this game then the previous one. These books are more my type. :)
oooo, God's Smuggler--Mel and I read that together for awhile. I don't think we ever finished it (she had probably already read it), but what we read was good.
drat, i didn't think it was Lieutenant Hornblower b/c Bush is the main character in that one...and then just mixed myself up.
and in my defense, it's been a while since i opened Out of the Silent Planet. =P
good list!
Post a Comment