As it's been over a year, I thought it would be fun to launch a new edition of The Book Game. The game is very simple: I've typed out the 3rd sentence on p. 71 from twelve books that I like, and I invite my readers to leave comments identifying the books. Feel free to try for all of them or just one, as you wish. Not all of these are lifetime favourites for me, but most of them definitely are. Happy guessing!
2) The Enemy wants to bring the man to a state of mind in which he could design the best cathedral in the world, and know it to be the best, and rejoice in the fact, without being any more (or less) or otherwise glad at having done it than he would be if it had been done by another.
3) Another fire truck appeared and stopped in front of Miss Stephanie Crawford's.
4) He gave us the Declaration of Independence for a parsing exercise, and in geography confined his questions almost exclusively to localities rendered famous in the Revolutionary War.
5) Harriet wrote a tart letter to the paper, pointing out that either "undergraduate" or "woman student" would be seemlier English than "undergraduette," and that the correct method of describing Dr. Baring was "the Warden."
6) Here, close to Hull Street, his mother was buried in an unmarked grave. He had not forgotten where and flung himself down beside the spot.
7) One church that we sometimes went to was a tiny 150-year-old church, St. Stephen's, set in lovely rolling country with a few noble old houses here and there and the Blueridge glowing in the distance.
8) Pickett answered obligingly, unconcerned, "Well, Jim Kemper kept needling our English friend about why didn't come and join in with us, it being in their interest and all, and the Englishman said that it was a very touchy subject, since most Englishmen figured the war was all about, ah, slavery, and then old Kemper got a bit outraged and had to explain to him how wrong he was, and Sorrel and some others joined in, but no harm done."
9) Poor old PB, if you know who I mean, had to go away soon after the snow began last month.
10) "Oh... and er... interesting rhythmic devices too," continued Arthur, "which seemed to counterpoint the... er... er..." he floundered.
11) "My sentence is for open War: Of Wiles,
More unexpert, I boast not: them let those
Contrive who need, or when they need, not now."
12) So the Elephant's Child went home across Africa frisking and whisking his trunk.
10 comments:
Number three is To Kill a Mockingbird. And five is Gaudy Night.
#9) Letters from Father Christmas, I think?
#10) Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, one of my favorite passages, when Arther is trying to compliment Vogon poetry.
Two is The Screwtape Letters.
Ever slow on the uptake - I just realised you were blogging again! Hurrah!
Hope all's well. xx
well, i am drawing a blank on all of them. oh well. you should put up another post soon with all the correct answers.
2 - C.S. Lewis somewhere.
5 - Dorothy Sayers, Gaudy Night..
6 - A biography of Edgar Allen Poe? Just last week I visited the graveyard where his mother is buried.
12 - Rudyard Kipling, Just So Stories.
I second Rachel. Answers, please!
I thought two might be The Screwtape Letters, but I wasn't quite confident enough to guess that.
dude, these are my guesses, but I could be totally wrong on some of them.
1) David Copperfield
2) Orthooxy
3) ?
4) ?
5) Gaudy Night
6) Johnny Tremain
7) ?
8) It's that Angel book by Michael Sahara that I own but for the life of me cannot remember the name of...dang it.
9) Letters from Father Christmas
10. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
11) TS Eliot????
12) Just So Stories
just looked it up--KILLER ANGELS!!!
Very impressive guessing! The only ones nobody got were #4, #7, and #11. Here are the answers:
1) David Copperfield (Dickens)
2) The Screwtape Letters (Lewis)
3) To Kill a Mockingbird (Lee)
4) The Story of a Bad Boy (Aldrich)
5) Gaudy Night (Sayers)
6) Johnny Tremain (Forbes)
7) A Severe Mercy (Vanauken)
8) The Killer Angels (Shaara)
9) Letters from Father Christmas (Tolkien)
10) Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Adams)
11) Paradise Lost (Milton)
12) Just So Stories (Kipling)
Thank you all for playing!
my consolation to not being able to guess Severe Mercy is that the quote was obscure. =P I think i had an advantage of already being aware of what some of your favorites were...
you should post more games like this. i had fun.
Post a Comment