Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Wild and wonderful

There is a post about last weekend sitting in my 'drafts' folder, but as Anthony and I are both a bit under the weather, it will have to wait. In the meantime, though, here's the highlight from this week's vegetable box. You might think I'd be inured to surprises in that department by this time, but the kingdom plantae continues to amaze:


What is it? A Romanesco cauliflower, apparently. I don't think the photo quite does it justice, but its surface is entirely covered with little points. According to our organic vegetable company, this is "the Rolls Royce of cauliflowers." It's said to have a delicate nutty flavour and to be at its best when roasted and topped with parmesan shavings. We have guests coming for dinner on Friday, and I'll be sure to let you know how it turns out.

4 comments:

Sirius said...

wow, looks like it could be really good. makes you wonder what the first human to each it was thinking, though...were they trying to commit suicide by eating something covered with points?

feel better!

julie said...

sweet!!! take pictures of the finished product. and hope both of you get better soon!

Rachel said...

that sounds really good! Hope you guys feel better soon!

Anthony said...

So... is 'Rolls-Royce of cauliflowers' supposed to be a good thing? I have but to recall that our wedding car, a Rolls-Royce no less, broke down on its way to us. Or that the engine on the Airbus A380 that blew up this week over Singapore was... a Rolls-Royce engine.