Thursday, November 04, 2010

Good things in October


November has arrived, and with it the finest autumn colours I've ever seen in England. This is the view from our dining room window. I can look out at these trees for inspiration as I write. The orange one in the foreground always reminds me of a campfire. (It's even more orange in real life).

Here, slightly belatedly, is a list of good things that happened last month:

1 - Hannah, a friend from Cambridge who's just moved to North London, came for dinner. Good conversation.
2 - Lunch with Rosie from Oxford.
3 - A restful Sunday. Read for most of the afternoon. Sang at church in the evening.
4 - Made cookies.
5 - Talked with my mum and Emily online and bought opera tickets for the winter season!
6 - Took the LNAT (British law admissions exam). No idea how it went, but great to have it out of the way.
7 - Candlelight dinner with Anthony. Just because.
8 - Marian took me to the Knitting and Stitching Show at the Alexandra Palace in North London. We did a fun class together on stumpwork, a kind of raised embroidery that was popular in Elizabethan times, before the rise of crewel. You can see an example here. Looked at lots and lots of craft stalls.
9 - Talked to Julie on skype and made pizza and brownies. Started working on a crewel embroidery project that Marian bought for me. It's nice having something to do with my hands while talking to my family online.
10 - Good sermon at church on Galatians 3.
11 - Had a dreadful headache, but was able to take a nap in the afternoon. If I had a job already, that wouldn't have been possible.
12 - My supervisor sent a job reference for me from an airport lounge 30 minutes before boarding a plane to Australia! I want to be just like him in how I treat my future students.
13 - Went to small group and the girls were very sympathetic about my headache.
14 - Special date night at home with Anthony -- we dressed up, used our wedding china, and danced afterwards. Then he gave me a pedicure.
15 - Headache gone! Submitted another job application.
16 - Tidied the garden with Anthony. Then got fish and chips and watched The Sound of Music
17 - Finished re-reading Gaudy Night: "Placetne magistra?" "Placet."
18 - Decided to push on with my paper -- I started it back in September, but ran into difficulties and thought seriously about canning it to do something else. Now I think I see a way forward.
19 - Mini-pupillage Day 1: read documents for an insolvency case.
20 - Mini-pupillage Day 2: went to court.
21 - Stayed home all day working on my paper.
22 - Took the train to York.
23 - Day with friends in York.
24 - Sang at church in the evening.
25 - Submitted another job application.
26 - Watched Kate and Leopold. Time-travel films never quite make sense, but this is one of the better ones.
27 - Good workout -- cycled for 55 minutes with the heart-rate monitor.
28 - Had a nice chat with Daddy on skype.
29 - Picked out a Christmas present for Anthony...
30 - Shopping day in France!
31 - Bought our Christmas tree! Details to follow...

6 comments:

Rachel said...

nice picture!!

Cool list. What is your paper for? Can't wait to see you. 11 more days!

Laura said...

I'm hoping to submit the paper to an academic journal by the end of next week. Really looking forward to seeing you too!

Sirius said...

you already have a christmas tree?? wow, that's impressive. way to plan ahead!

Paula said...

I really like your idea of listing all of the good things that happened in each month. I still haven't done it myself, but I want to. We all have so much to be thankful for.

julie said...

"I just thought you'd like to have this nice mango."

"That's a papaya, Charlie."
-K and L

dude, we need to talk soon! my powers of communication are pretty much on hold till after monday, but after that, can we catch up?
love you.

Kari said...

Yay, Gaudy Night! And we had Galatians 3 in our wedding, so I am particularly fond of it.