Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Notes for the holidays

I've basically had to accept the fact that I don't have time to read for pleasure during term, but that hasn't kept me from thinking up loads of books I'd like to read and jotting down the titles in the back of my notebook. Here are some of them:

Founding Brothers - Joseph Ellis

Modern Art and the Death of a Culture - Hans Rookmaaker

How Long, O Lord? - Don Carson

Capitalism and the Protestant Work Ethic - Max Weber

Biography of Hitler

Something on the American War for Independence

Eichmann in Jerusalem - Hannah Arendt

True Spirituality - Francis Schaeffer

Biography of John D. Rockefeller

History of the American People - Paul Johnson

The Nature of Scientific Revolutions - Thomas Kuhn

Biography of the Beatles

The Tapestry and Hidden Art - Edith Schaeffer

The Pleasures of God - John Piper

The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde


Don't expect to do more than scratch the surface of this list during the Easter vac - but I'm thinking of it as an ever-expanding lifetime project.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a good list. Esp the bios of Hitler and the Beatles. They would be very interesting.

When is your Easter vacation??

Laura said...

Easter vac runs 11 March - 22 April. Oxford holidays are brilliant!

Anonymous said...

oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh *squeals excitedly* did Mel tell you what she got me for my birthday--Narrative Poems, by C.S. Lewis!!!! I've read one of them (Lancelot) and i really liked it.

Jeremy said...

Do tell if you read Modern Art and the Death of a Culture. I have yet to settle these questions for myself and would enjoy a discussion.