Thursday, February 08, 2007

Snow!

Today it snowed in Oxford -- really snowed -- for the first time in 16 years!

The morning got off to a good start: some friends who live nearby invited me out to play by throwing snowballs at my window. We pelted each other in the garden for a while, running, leaping, and hooting with excitment. This was followed by a celebratory breakfast of bacon sandwiches and fresh chocolate chip cookies. Then a few more friends arrived and the snow battles continued.

A street near my house:


The expedition departs:


The Battle of Hinksey Park:


Later in the morning, I headed into town for a couple of meetings and a photo-shoot. Business carried on as ever, but there was a festive spirit in the air. Even the Roman emperors seemed a bit less dour than usual:


The lacy trees along St. Giles:


"The view" -- my camera couldn't do it justice:


New Quad, complete with a pirate and an exquisite snow horse:


I'm tired and sore and behind on work, but this day was entirely worth it. I haven't had so much fun in ages.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice

Sam Allberry said...

Looks to me as though Ben Dyson is wearing girlie gloves in one of the pictures. Perhaps an explanation for why he's such a lousy shot...?

Anonymous said...

looks like you had lots of fun. 16 years with no snow?!? that's so crazy. Wow, so if I lived in Oxford, I would basically never remember ever having seen snow before. wow. that blows my mind.

it's snowed here twice so far, but not much. there was like a 90% chance of snow the other day, but it never showed up. I was sad cuz I like snow, but glad that I didn't have to walk to class in it. :-)

have a wonderful weekend!