Saturday, February 03, 2007

"Well, what have you been doing then?"

After various abstract musings on Supreme Court justices, houseplants, and grammatical niceties, I feel the time has come to answer the Water Rat's question with an update on my activities:

Spent Monday quite productively in the library and had lunch in College with a friend from church. Led a Bible study in the evening and went home to mark essays.

Gave two tutorials on Tuesday and one on Wednesday. Teaching is great fun, but so tiring that I'm pretty much worthless for the rest of the day as far as productive work goes. After teaching on Tuesday I went to Scottish Dancing class and marked essays for the next day.

More teaching Wednesday, followed by Schaeffer group where we discussed methodological naturalism and the problem of evil. I love that group because we take each other seriously and yet find so much to laugh about. Stayed home and worked Wednesday evening while listening to Corelli's 12 Concerti Grossi, performed by Trevor Pinnock and the English Concert -- very nice recording.

Spent pretty much all Thursday working on my dissertation, interrupted by a pleasant lunchtime reading group with Joe M. and others. We'll be going through James Sire's book Habits of the Mind this term. More work later on, managed to get through Bartemeyer and Allgeyer, a couple of important 14th Amendment cases. I've decided to drop the Commerce Clause from my dissertation to focus on sovereignty issues arising from the 14th Amendment -- it was just too much to try to tackle both.

Helpful meeting with my supervisor on Friday morning, followed by work in the Law Library, coffee with a friend, a talk by the Archbishop of York, and more work.

Today I did some cleaning and cooking for a welcome change of pace, read a bit of Horwitz' Transformation of American Law, worked in the Law Library, and had dinner with a friend. Going to crash now and watch West Wing -- back soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post. Sounds like you have a lot going on, but that you're having fun.

I didn't realize it until last night, but I guess Spooks is the same thing as MI-5 (I thought they were different shows). Cuz I just finished season 1, and the end with the house blowing up and the door jammed and the girlfriend and daughter inside was exactly what you told me about. It was interesting, but I'm glad to know what happens at the end, that they don't really blow up. :-) Have a great rest of your weekend!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're pretty busy too!

For speech I got fourth in dramatic, fourth in humorous, sixth in duo, and I won open.

For debate, Josh and I broke to octa finals, and I got fourteenth place speaker.

It was a good tournament and we learned a lot. Plus, it was nice to be off script for all my pieces. :-)